1983-1987 Chevy El Camino Rear Brake Shoes1ABPS00145
- Location: Rear
This REAR brake shoe set is just what you need to get your vehicle stopping in good order again!
- Comes as a PAIR
- Fits both the LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side) REAR
- Premium Grade Brake Shoes
- No core charge
- Direct replacement
- Correct for: 9-1/2 x 2 Inch Drum
This rear brake shoe set makes a great replacement and has an excellent value over the price of a dealer brake shoe set.
Effective June 23, 2014: This item is backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. In the event this item should fail due to manufacturing defects during intended use, we will exchange the part free of charge (excludes shipping charges) for the original purchaser. Please keep your invoice for proof of this warranty.
Wear and Tear
This item is backed by a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship under its intended use. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. Please keep your invoice for proof of this warranty.
Step 1: Removing the Wheels
- Use a 19mm socket to remove the lug nut covers.
- Loosen the lug nuts.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the lug nuts and the wheel.
Step 2: Removing the Brakes
- Spray them with penetrating oil.
- Remove the locking tabs around the bolts.
- Hit the brake on the front with a hammer to loosen it. Pry with a screwdriver once loosened.
- Use vise-grips to lock on to the spring. Pull the spring out and down and remember what spring goes where.
- Remove the other spring the same way as the last.
- Pull the lever down and pull the lever across from it off.
- Hold the back of the pin that holds on the shoes. Using the vise-grips push and twist the other side. Do the same with the other pin.
- Take the brake shoes off.
- Make sure there is not a leak near the wheel cylinder.
Step 3: Taking the Brakes Apart
- Separate the shoes
- Pull the adjuster from the shoes.
- Clean the threads on the adjuster and coat with anti-seize.
- Make sure it spins easily.
Step 4: Preparing the New Brakes
- Match up the old springs with the news springs.
- The larger shoe is the rear shoe.
- Attach the shoes with the spring and adjuster.
- Put anti-seize on all the places the shoes contact.
Step 5: Installing New Brakes
- Put the emergency brake bracket into the triangle slot on the brake shoes.
- Put the shoes on to the wheel
- Put the pins in through the back of the shoes.
- Replace the spring using the vise-grips to pull it into place.
- Put the adjusting arm with the new cup into place. Reinsert the pin
- Attach the shorter spring to the lever.
- Put the opposite lever into place.
- Slide the emergency brake separator back into place.
- Reinsert the remaining springs using the vise-grips.
- Put the small spring back under the larger lever
- Replace the drum. Use the adjuster to expand the shoes so that it will fit properly. You want the drum to slide on with a little drag.
Step 6: Replacing the Wheel
- Put the wheel into place.
- Thread the lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle and torque the lug nuts to 100 ft/lbs.
How-to Video:(15:41 min)
- Anti-Seize Grease
- Penetrating Oil
- Lug Wrench
- Flat Blade Screwdriver
- Pry Bar
- 19mm Socket
- Jack Stands
- Large Hammer
- Wire Brush
Materials, Fluids, and Supplies
Pliers, Cutters & misc Wrenches
Ratchets & Related
Screwdrivers & Related
Sockets - Metric
- 1978-1981 Buick Century Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1987 Buick Regal Rear Brake Shoes
- 1979-1985 Buick Riviera Rear Brake Shoes
- 1985-2002 Chevy Astro Rear Brake Shoes
- 1983-1997 Chevy Blazer S10 Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-1997 Chevy Camaro Rear Brake Shoes
- 1983-1987 Chevy El Camino Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1983 Chevy Malibu Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1988 Chevy Monte Carlo Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-2003 Chevy S10 Pickup Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-1987 GMC Caballero Rear Brake Shoes
- 1983-1997 GMC Jimmy S-15 Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-1990 GMC S-15 Pickup Rear Brake Shoes
- 1991-2003 GMC S-15 Sonoma Rear Brake Shoes
- 1985-2002 GMC Safari Rear Brake Shoes
- 1991 GMC Syclone Rear Brake Shoes
- 1992-1993 GMC Typhoon Rear Brake Shoes
- 1998-2000 Isuzu Hombre Rear Brake Shoes
- 1991-1996 Olds Bravada Rear Brake Shoes
- 1985 Olds Calais Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1987 Olds Cutlass Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1985 Olds Cutlass Calais Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1983 Olds Cutlass Cruiser RWD Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme RWD Rear Brake Shoes
- 1979-1983 Olds Toronado Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-1986 Pontiac Bonneville Rear Brake Shoes
- 1982-1997 Pontiac Firebird Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1980 Pontiac Grand Am Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1981 Pontiac Grand LeMans Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1987 Pontiac Grand Prix Rear Brake Shoes
- 1978-1981 Pontiac LeMans Rear Brake Shoes
Part #: 1ABPS00145
- Ships Same Day for orders placed by 5 P.M. ET
Free GROUND SHIPPINGCheck Shipping Rates
"Thanks for the fast reliable service. Great price, and the headlights were as good as oem or better!!! Keep up the good work..."- Dwuan M.